DOG training, our k9 Middle School program includes AKC preparation classes!
Earning an AKC Therapy Dog title builds on the skills taught in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy® and Canine Good Citizen® programs which creates a sound and friendly temperament needed by a successful therapy dog. The AKC Therapy Dog™ program awards official AKC titles to dogs who have worked to improve the lives of the people they have visited. AKC Therapy Dog titles can be earned by dogs who have been certified by AKC recognized therapy dog organizations and have performed the required number of visits.
** Neither Canine High School nor the AKC certify therapy dogs; the certification and training is done by qualified therapy dog organizations. The certification organizations are the experts in this area and their efforts should be acknowledged and appreciated.
Therapy dogs are not service dogs. Service dogs are dogs who are specially trained to perform specific tasks to help a person who has a disability. An example of a service dog is a dog who guides an owner who is blind, or a dog who assists someone who has a physical disability. Service dogs stay with their person and have special access privileges in public places such as on planes, restaurants, etc. Therapy dogs, the dogs who will be earning the AKC Therapy Dog™ title, do not have the same special access as service dogs.It is unethical to attempt to pass off a therapy dog as a service dog for purposes such as flying on a plane or being admitted to a restaurant.
Dog Training School creates long-lasting trust between you and your pup, but also ensures that you’ll be good neighbors and friends to everyone around you—and, if you’re interested in going beyond the basics, CGC also lays the foundation for other AKC sports and activities like obedience, agility, tracking, and performance events.
Our dog school program is designed to be force-free, positive reinforcement based learning. In 12 weeks, dogs will learn skills that will allow you and your pup to walk calmly down 2nd Street, or through Downtown Long Beach, laying calmly beside your chair at an outdoor restaurant, and greeting your friends and family politely with all paws on the ground. Training a dog to be confident and obedient in public takes a lot of practice, so enroll your dog in our American Kennel Club's preparation classes.
AKC Community Canine Program (advanced CGC)
You will receive weekly progress reports, access to our Online Library, materials, resources and AKC Certification Exam Preparation Group Classes. We transfer the knowledge to you so that you can keep up and maintain the progress that we make. When your dog graduates from each school term (12 weeks), you will receive a graduation certificate, and will be offered the appropriate AKC CGC, Urban CGC or Community Canine Title examination at no cost to you.
For more information about AKC CGC, Urban CGC and Community Canine Certifications and Titles, please visit our AKC Certifications Page.
What happens after HIGH School?
At the end of the program, your pup will have received all the necessary preparation to graduate and to re-join and choose another of the American Kennel Club's preparation classes. Or a combination of both of the following options:
k9 Middle school
• Dog Training Day School Program to prepare for the AKC Canine Good Citizen Program
k9 high school
• Dog Daycare Enrichment Program, which is focused on continuing education to maintain the training, socialization and skills that your pup learned in school.
k9 Sports Team
• Dog Agility Training Day School Program to prepare for the AKC Trick Dog Program Titles
Dog School k9 Middle School syllabus
• Monday through Friday schedule
• Convenient at-home pick-up 9-11am & drop-off 3-5pm
• Dedicated trainer for daily class and training exercises
• Dedicated trainer for on-leash walking, socialization
• Personalized text updates with video and pics
• Choice of preparation classes for: AKC Canine Good Citizen Program, AKC Community Canine Program (advanced CGC) or AKC Urban CGC Program.
• 12 week school term for each program
• Weekly progress reports
• Weekly AKC Certification Exam Preparation Group Classes
• Instagram videos and picture posts
• Dog Training School Graduation Certificate
• AKC CGC, Urban CGC or Community Canine examination
• FREE weekly group classes!
• FREE member training resources access!
• FREE training support for life!
• The following Holidays there will be no school: Presidents Day, Easter Monday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Years Day.
Dog school k9 Middle School curriculum
The following 3 options are available for each school term (12 weeks).
AKC Canine Good Citizen Program
CGC is a ten-skill training program that’s open to all dogs–purebred and mixed breed–that focuses on teaching the basics of good manners and obedience, instilling the values of responsible ownership, and strengthening the bond between you and your dog at home and out in the community.
AKC Community Canine Program (advanced CGC)
AKC Community Canine is the advanced level of AKC's Canine Good Citizen (CGC) program. As with CGC, AKC Community Canine has a 10-step test of skills that dogs must pass to earn the official AKC Community Canine title. This is a title that appears on the dog's title record at AKC.
AKC Urban CGC Program
AKC Urban CGC is a public access test that demonstrates dogs are well-behaved and well-trained when in public settings. The Urban CGC test can be used by dog- friendly business (e.g., lodging, retail, transportation, public facilities) to recognize and accept dogs with good manners.
Dog School k9 Middle School Requirements
• Admissions interview
• Temperament assessment
• Vaccination records
• City licensing
• Lock-box or backyard access (we do not store keys)
• First day of school with dedicated trainer
• Basic Training Completed
• Dogs must be at least 6 months old to be eligible for enrollment.
• Dog proof of vaccinations are required.
• Each school term lasts 12 weeks, other options available.